Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday-CAN'T BEAT THAT DAY


Had a great visit with a local businessman not long ago and he patiently listened to all I had to say about the ranch plan. I managed to go over the usual start to finish materials and through it all he hardly said a word. So hear I am thinking to myself that this guy is going to be glad when I get this spiel done and he gets me out of here. But to my surprise once I was done he had some great input and was not afraid to share it with me. He said he was not a church goer but as he observed the young people of today he has noticed that the computer and more so computer games has taken away self worth and that our young people see nothing but negativity in everything. He said they need soul food and some self-worth activities. He said parents today no matter if they are church goers or not are too lazy to get involved in their kids lives, and the kids have become the devil's domain. He explained that the computer games leave no self worth that lasts and that is why they become so addicted as it fills a void for a very short time and they soon want more and more of this destructive input. And worse he said is parents that sit for hours on the computer teaching their children how to waste your life away.
He said healthy kids play street hockey, build go carts, cut the lawn or shovel the sidewalk and help around the yard or spend time helping a neighbour. When all this is done with the father involved, it builds character and self-worth that lasts.
As it happened I attended the funeral of a friend not long after this conversation with the business man and I chose to stay and look after our grandkids in the playroom for a while. There was a young man sitting in the playroom about 14 years old watching his little sister. I started to talk to him, asking were he was from and so on. I asked him if he had any hobbies or sports that he was involved in and he said yes, but on video games only. He said that he was good at the games but that his dad was really good at them all, in fact he said my dad is a PS-3 maniac. Now I'm not sure what that means but he did say that the day before on family day his dad played all day and after asking his dad if he could play with him the father said in a minute. Several hours later at the end of the day the father gave him the machine and went to bed and that was family day at this home. So, no wonder we need a place for our youth to learn a trade or some life skills.
Dad's, get out there and do some physical activity with your kids, they really love that time with you!
Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."

No comments:

Post a Comment